Tangerines are related varieties of oranges distinguished by loose, easily peeled shin (pericarp) and sweet juicy flesh (arils). They are also known as mandarin oranges in Europe and satsumas in Japan. Just as oranges, these too belong to the Rutaceae (citrus Family) and known scientifically as Citrus reticulata.
Antioxidant Benefits –
- Rich in vitamin C – a 3.5 oz serving provides 44% of the RDA
- High i vitamin A – 3.5 oz serving provides 23% of the RDA
Digestive Benefits –
- Rich in Pectin that can increase the number of beneficial microflora found in your gut.
Cholesterol-lowering Benefits –
- The fibrous white tissue, found between the segments of tangerines, is rich in soluble fiber which reduces cholesterol found in your blood.
Weight Management –
- The high fiber content of tangerines can help keep you feeling fuller for a longer period of time.