CSA subscriber Carey Nash shared this recipe created one cold winter afternoon. Thanks Carey, it sounds delicious!
- 4 cups Arugula (one bunch from JR Organics)
- 2 medium Acorn Squash
- 2 cloves garlic with papers on
- 1.5 cups dried bulgur wheat (or other grain: see NOTES)
- 4T lemon juice
- 2T extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450F. Slice squash in half and remove seeds. (Feel free to toast these like pumpkin seeds…YUM!)
- Place squash skin-side down in a shallow dish and add water to cover the bottom of the dish (about a half inch).
- Place the cloves of garlic inside squash hallows.
- Roast squash and garlic in the oven for about 35-45 minutes…until squash is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 cups water to a boil.
- Add 1.5 cups bulgur wheat and 4T lemon juice.
- Reduce to low, cover, and simmer about 20 minutes, until water is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and keep covered. (Should be about 4 cups cooked.)
- Also, rough-chop Arugula leaves and wash, drain, and set aside to dry slightly. (About 4 cups, loosely packed. Do not use stems…save for soup stocks!)
- When the squash is done, remove from oven and let cool to touch.
- Scoop out squash and dice into small cubes. (Should be between 3 and 4 cups, cubed.)
- Squish roasted garlic into a large skillet with 2T EVOO.
- Sautee garlic over medium heat adding cubed squash for a few minutes, then add cooked bulgur for a few more.
- When thoroughly warmed, add chopped Arugula, stir, and cover for about 4-5 minutes, until the Arugula wilts slightly.
- Remove from heat, add a pinch of salt, serve, and enjoy!!!
- The sweet squash melds nicely with the spicy arugula, and the lemony bulgur is the perfect complement. This salad is also good cold!
- If you are gluten-free, I imagine that 4 cups cooked wild rice or quinoa would work just fine. (Just make sure to cook them slightly dry.) I also think this would be fabulous with Isreali Couscous!!
- Additions can include the seeds if you toasted them, toasted and chopped nuts of choice, sliced green olives, slice green onions, chopped fresh tomato, garbanzo beans, fresh parsley, or crumbled feta-cheese (for non-vegans).
- 1 serving: approximately 325 cals, 6g fat, 60g carb, 0g sugar, 17g fiber, 7g protein.