- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked kidney beans or 1-‐15 ounce can
- 1⁄4 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite all-‐purpose seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Warm the oven to 375 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it lightly with oil.
- Add the spinach and onion to a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely diced.
- Add the kidney beans, rice, garlic, liquid smoke, soy sauce, and seasonings and pulse until the mixture is all finely diced and well mixed. It is ok if a few larger pieces of the beans remain.
- Place this mixture into a medium bowl and gently mix in the bread crumbs. This mixture should be slightly sticky and hold together nicely when you form it into a ball. If it is too wet, add more bread crumbs.
- Check this mixture for seasoning and adjust to your tastes.
- Divide the mixture evenly into 4 balls and shape them gently into patties.
- Place the patties onto the lined baking sheet. Spray the tops lightly with oil and bake for 18-‐20 minutes or until the bottom is a crispy golden brown.
- Flip the patties and bake for 15 minutes or until the same texture and color is achieved on the other side.
- Let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
Makes 4 large patties