CSA subscriber Callie, shared a delicious tea scone recipe. Thanks Callie!
“This scone recipe is from our Canadian friend and former host of At Wit’s End B&B in Banff. Great for breakfast with JR’s fresh strawberries!”
Barbara Christou’s Tea Scones
- 1 C white flour
- 1 C whole wheat flour
- 3 T sugar
- 1/4/tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 5 or 6 T chilled butter
- 3/4 C buttermilk *
(optional, if you don’t have any strawberries: 1/2 C raisins or craisins)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add buttermilk (and dried fruit if needed) and knead lightly 8 or 10 times. (If you over-knead them, they’ll be like hockey pucks.)
- For small scones, divide dough into 2 balls and roll into circles about 3/4″ to 1″ high.
- Cut each circle into 6 pieces.
- Bake on lightly greased baking sheet about 9 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned on bottom.
- Serve hot with fresh strawberries and vanilla yogurt** or whipped cream.
* If you don’t have any buttermilk handy, put 1 T cider vinegar at the bottom of a measuring cup and add 3/4 C milk. Let stand for a few minutes to allow it to clabber, then use as you would buttermilk.
**You can make your own (healthier) vanilla yogurt by adding vanilla and a touch of sugar to plain lowfat or nonfat yogurt.