- 1 1⁄4 cup non-‐dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-‐purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil or vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 2 cups strawberries, cut into pieces no larger than a dime
- Warm the oven to 375 degrees. In a small glass mix together the milk and vinegar and set it aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, zest, and sugar.
- Add the coconut oil in small, pea-‐sized clumps.
- Cut the oil into the flour using a fork or a pastry cutter until the flour looks grainy and full of small pebbles.
- In the middle of the flour mixture make a well and pour in the milk mixture, oil, and extract of your choosing.
- Mix until all the ingredients are moistened and then fold in the strawberries.
- Scoop out about 1⁄4 cup of the dough and place it on a lined, greased baking sheet for each biscuit. Bake the biscuits for 18-‐ 22 minutes or until they appear golden.
These biscuits are best served the day they are made.
Makes 12 biscuits