- 2 acorn squash
- boiling water, or apple juice
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste, optional
- Cut squash in half and with a spoon, remove pulp and seeds.
- In a large baking dish place squash cut-side down.
- Pour 1/4-inch boiling water into dish (or use 1/4 inch room temperature apple juice for extra sweetness).
- Place dish in oven and bake squash for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, combine apples, cranberries, cinnamon, butter, salt, and fresh ground black pepper to taste to make stuffing.
- Remove squash from the oven after the 30 minutes.
- Turn halves over and stuff center of each squash half with apple mixture.
- Return to oven and bake for 30-35 minutes (or longer) until squash and apples are tender.