- 1 pound of string beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, chopped, about a 1⁄2 cup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- juice of one lemon
- 1⁄2 pound of whole wheat linguine
- 1⁄2 cup of raw walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pepper to taste
- Warm a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over a medium heat and add the chopped walnuts.
- Stir constantly until the nuts are toasted, about 3-‐5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt and lemon zest.
- Add the toasted walnuts and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, bring some salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Reserve a 1⁄2 cup of the pasta water before you drain it.
- While the pasta cooks, cut the string beans into 1-‐inch long pieces and then slice them lengthwise down the middle.
- In the same skillet as earlier, warm the olive oil over a medium-‐high heat.
- Add the sliced string beans, a pinch of salt, and cook until the beans begin to soften and brown in some sections, about 5-‐7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Turn off the heat for the skillet and add the drained pasta, pasta water, fresh dill, and lemon juice.
- Mix well.
- Gently fold in the toasted walnuts.
- Add fresh pepper and additional salt to taste.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serves 2 as a main dish, 4 as a side