- 1 ½ T Butter
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled & chopped
- 2 cups fresh shelled cranberry beans
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 14 cups crème fraiche (optional)
Prepare the beans:
- Put the shelled beans in a sauté pan with 4 cups of water water.
- Salt lightly and simmer gently until the beans are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Should they absorb all the water, add more as needed, including enough to leave some broth.
- When the beans are done, set them aside with their cooking liquid until ready to use, then drain and use as per recipe below.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, add beans, potatoes and chicken stock.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium heat and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove ¼ cup of the vegetables and set aside for garnish.
- Continue to cook remaining vegetables until they are easily mashed against the side of the pot.
- Puree vegetables with the stock in a food processor. (or use a high speed blender, blend until creamy and don’t strain)
- Strain, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot garnished with reserved vegetables, mint leaves and crème fraiche.