- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cups okra, rinsed, untrimmed and left whole
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or 1 14-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes with juice)
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings (or 2 tablespoon olive oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a stew pot, bring 1 quart of water of a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, add some salt and the whole pods of okra. Simmer covered under low heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and strain.
In a saucepan or sauté pan with a close-fitting lid, sauté the onion in the bacon drippings or olive oil, over medium heat until softened, not browned.
Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the okra and tomatoes. Add the salt, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the okra pods are done. Check by removing a single pod of okra from the pan and press on it with a wooden spoon. If the okra easily splits, it is done. Remove from heat and stir in the pepper.
Makes about 4 servings.