From CSA subscriber Carey N.
“I pick my CSA up on Tuesday, and sometimes by Sunday I find I have some “odds and ends” left in the crisper. This is my go-to recipe for using everything up and thought I’d share it. It’s a simple, and easily adaptable, high-protein/low-fat vegan soup that also freezes well! I call it “Spring Soup” even though it’s really summer vegetables. I think I call it that because of it’s bright green color.”
- 1 large zucchini–diced
- 2 medium carrots–diced
- 2/3 cup frozen corn or peas or both
- Handful of green beans–chopped
- 2 cans garbanzo beans drained and rinsed (white beans work too)
- ½ an onion
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 clove garlic–chopped
- 4 Arugula Pesto ice cubes (or a large handful of fresh arugula plus some more olive oil)
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon
- Chopped basil leaves or other fresh herbs
- 4C water
- In a large stock pot, sauté diced onion in olive oil until soft.
- Add carrots and garlic and cover pot and sauté a few more minutes.
- Add green beans, cover, and cook a few more minutes.
- Add zucchini.In a blender, blend one can beans with 2 C water and 2 t bouillon and add mixture to the pot. (NOTE: if you are using fresh arugula, blend it here with an extra tablespoon of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice of you have it on hand.)
- Add corn, the other can of whole beans, 2 more cups water, and the Arugula Pesto cubes.
- Bring to a boil until pesto is melted.Reduce to simmer, add fresh herbs, cover and simmer 2 hours.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 4 pints.