- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 1 1/4 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh or 2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio or other short-grain rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add onion and sugar; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in spinach and next 5 ingredients (spinach through garlic); sauté 30 seconds or until spinach wilts.
Remove spinach mixture from pan; set aside.
Bring water and broth to a simmer in a small saucepan (do not boil).
Keep warm over low heat.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan; add rice.
Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Stir in wine; cook until wine is absorbed, stirring constantly.
Stir in 1/2 cup broth mixture; cook 4 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly, until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 22 minutes total).
Stir in spinach mixture and cheese; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.