For the black eyed peas:
- 1 cup dried black eyed peas, soaked for at least 6 hours 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced, with some seeds removed to control heat
- 2-‐3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
For the polenta:
- 1 cup coarse ground polenta
- 4 cups broth or water with 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green or bunching onions
- To cook the black eyed peas drain away the soaking liquid. In a medium saucepot bring the black eyed peas, water, and bay leaf to a boil.
- Once the pot is boiling, add the salt and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook until the black eyed peas are tender but not mushy.
- This could take as little as 15 minutes or as long as an hour depending on the age of the bean.
- Once they are tender, drain and set them aside.
- While the beans are cooking you can prepare the polenta. In a medium saucepot bring the broth or salted water to a boil.
- Gently whisk in the polenta. Reduce the pot to a gentle simmer, add the butter, and stir the pot frequently to prevent it from sticking.
- Continue cooking until the mixture is very thick and it begins to pull away from the edge of the pot as you stir, about 30 minutes.
- While the polenta cooks grease a deep medium-‐sized bowl. When the polenta is finished cooking, spoon it into the prepared bowl and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- As the polenta sits, warm the olive oil over a medium heat in a sauté pan.
- Add the onion and sauté until it begins to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add the cooked black eyed peas, chipotle peppers, garlic, adobo sauce, and soy sauce.
- Cook for about 1-‐2 minutes until all the peas look well coated. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Turn off the heat.
- After 15 minutes, invert the polenta bowl onto a flat plate; the mixture will unmold and hold the shape of the bowl.
- Cut the polenta into thick wedges and top with the black eyed peas. Sprinkle on the green onions and serve warm.