- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups peeled, cubed (1-inch), seeded pumpkin
- 2 potatoes, unpeeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, unpeeled, cored and diced
Place the red and brown lentils in a pan with the water and turmeric.
Cook over medium-low heat until tender, about 45 minutes.
Drain, reserving 2 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, heat the canola oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat.
Stir in the onion, and cook until tender and transparent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and garlic; cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
Mix in the curry powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and cloves.
Add the cooked lentils, reserved cooking liquid, pumpkin, potatoes, and carrots.
Cover, and cook over medium-low heat until the vegetables are tender, 35 to 45 minutes.
Stir in the spinach and apple.
Cook until the pumpkin can be easily pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes more.
Adjust seasonings to taste.