- 1 cup of water
- 6 cups of low sodium organic chicken broth* (or vegetable broth for vegetarian version)
- 1.5 lbs of mustard greens
- 1 block of soft or medium-firm tofu
- 1 slice of ginger
- 1 15-oz can of straw mushrooms
- 1 tsp of sesame or olive oil
- Combine the water and broth in a soup pot and bring to a boil. In the meanwhile, soak the mustard greens in cool water before washing. Cut the block of tofu to 1.5 inch cubes.
- When the broth boils, add the ginger and tofu. Cover and bring the broth back to a boil. Then simmer on low heat for 25 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, wash the mustard greens and cut to 2 inch long pieces. If the stem is thick, cut it in half or thirds to reduce the cook time. Rinse the straw mushroom under cool water and set aside.
- When the broth is ready, add the mustard green and straw mushrooms. Push the new ingredients into the soup as much as possible so that they are covered by the broth. Cover the pot and turn up the heat to a medium. Continue boiling for another 10 minutes or until the mustard greens is cooked.
- When done, turn off the heat. Add the sesame or olive oil and stir. Sprinkle a small pinch of salt as needed and serve.