- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, including stems, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- Heat oil on medium heat in a soup pot.
- sauté onion and celery for 3-4 minutes, until onion is softened but not browned.
- Add potato and chopped broccoli, the broth and milk.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Allow soup to cool slightly, then transfer to a blender in 2-3 batches, and blend until smooth.
- Return soup to pot and heat gently until ready to serve.