For the sauce:
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced and steamed until tender
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon yellow miso
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2-‐3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup plain almond or other nondairy milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 32 ounces penne
- 3 cups of your favorite sautéed greens
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
To make the sauce
- combine the butternut squash and cashews in a food processor and process for 2 minutes until the mixture begins to look smooth.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and process for another 3-‐5 minutes until the mixture looks smooth and well combined.
- Pour the sauce into a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. If the sauce appears too thick, add additional almond milk until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Check for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Gently fold the sauce over the cooked pasta in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add your favorite sautéed greens and fold gently.
- Top with additional smoked paprika and serve immediately.
Serves 4-‐6 as an entree