- 1 large crown of broccoli (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 a medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pound of pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.
- Remove broccoli florets from stems and chop into medium florets. Discard the stems or save for a future stir-‐fry.
- Use the pot of future pasta water to steam the broccoli by suspending a mesh strainer over your pasta pot when the water has come to simmer.
- Cover the pot with a lid and steam the broccoli for 5 to 6 minutes until the florets are just tender, then set them aside.
- Add the pasta to the water and cook according to package directions. Before draining the pasta, reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water and set it aside. Drain the pasta.
- In the bottom of that same pot warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and reduce to medium-‐low, sautéing it until the onion begins to brown slightly, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and steamed broccoli and cook for another two minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the broccoli mixture to a blender or food processor, add the tahini, and blend in short bursts until it is all finely chopped.
- Add the broccoli sauce back to the pot with the drained pasta, half of the reserved pasta water, and the lemon zest.
- Cook over medium-‐high for 1 to 2 minutes, tossing the mixture so that it evenly coats the pasta.
- Add more pasta water as needed to loosen the sauce.
- Adjust seasonings to taste, adding more salt or lemon zest as needed.
- Serve immediately.