- 2 cups of blood orange juice, about 8-‐10 oranges
- 3⁄4 teaspoon blood orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract a pinch of ground ginger
- Mix all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan and slowly bring them to a boil over medium-‐high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Let the mixture remain at a steady boil, stirring occasionally, for 25-‐30 or until the mixture reduces by half.
- Let the syrup cool to room temperature in the pan and then transfer to a jar and place it in the fridge until it is completely cool. The syrup will thicken as it cools.
Try this syrup drizzled over pancakes, waffles, fresh biscuits, or pound cake. It is also wonderful stirred into sparkling water, hot tea, or your favorite cocktail.
Makes about 1 cup of syrup