- 1 1⁄2 cups wild rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups water
- 1 bunch of baby leeks, sliced into thin ribbons, about 1 heaping cup
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon,
- about 1 tablespoon if using fresh juice of half a Meyer lemon
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a medium stockpot, bring the wild rice, salt, and water to boil.
- Partially cover the pot and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook the rice for about 45 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- If any liquid remains, drain it away.
- While the rice cooks, warm the olive oil over a medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add the baby leeks and salt and continue cooking until the leeks begin to appear golden in some spots, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and tarragon and cook for an addition minute.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and almonds.
- Check for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Serve immediately
Serves 4 as a side