For the topping:
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-‐purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups of apples, diced with the skin on 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the cake:
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-‐purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup almond or other nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Warm the oven to 375 and grease and flour an 8-‐inch cake pan.
- mix the flour, sugar, and spices in a medium bowl
- In a small sauté pan add the diced apple, lemon juice, and a couple tablespoons of water.
- Sauté the apples over a medium heat until they are tender but not mushy, about 2 minutes.
- Drain and add the apples and oil to the flour mixture. Mix well and then set aside.
- Add the vinegar to the nondairy milk and set it aside for a few minutes.
The cake batter:
- mix together the sugar, canola oil, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl
- Add the milk and vinegar mixture
- Slowly sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt
- Mix until everything is well combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and evenly sprinkle on the apple topping.
- Bake for 30-‐40 minutes or until the topping appears golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out smooth.
- Let the cake cool for at least 45 minutes before serving.