Being a long time consumer of nutritional yeast, I was shocked when my favorite brand carried a Prop 65 warning label. This very scary warning would normally prevent me from buying a product, but having used nutritional yeast for many years, I decided to call the company and find out what was going on.
It turns out, nutritional yeast has a minuscule amount of naturally occurring lead, 3 parts per million, to be exact, so why the label?
The original concept of Prop 65 was to keep chemicals out of drinking water and to warn consumers before they are exposed to chemicals that may cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. There are over 800 chemicals on the Prop 65 list. Cancer warnings have different requirements than reproductive toxicity warnings which are set at a level 1000 times LESS that the level of exposure where there is no observable effect of harm. This level is far lower than that set by the EPA or any federal agency. The vast majority of Prop 65 cases involving dietary supplements concern allegations of lead exposure.
Enforcement of Prop 65 – Bounty Hunters
Government or private parties are authorized to keep part of the civil penalties recovered through a trial or settlement. As a result of the financial incentive offered to private parties to pursue these cases, lawyers and law firms have become “bounty hunters” and devoted their practices to pursuing settlements and recoveries.
Problems With Prop 65
- it unfairly impacts natural product
- what started out as an environmental protection law has turned into a system that mainly seems to enrich private lawyers.
- Prop 65 enforcement actions are an abusive practice hurting small businesses
The public wants to be protected from harmful chemicals. Yet, it appears Prob 65 has been corrupted and is being used as another way to discredit natural eating. Meanwhile, as the list of health hazards with GMOs continues to rise, the government refuses to provide even a content label!
Worse yet, is the Trans Pacific Partnership or TPP. The TPP is a major trade pact being negotiated in secret by the US Administration with other Pacific Rim countries. It is not mainly about trade. It’s real purposes according to TPP, Fast Track are:
- help global corporations sue governments in an international trade tribunal
- to force governments to abandon laws that protect the public, workers and the environment.
- threatens internet privacy
- undermines financial industry regulations
- dismantles “buy local” preferences
- restricts countries from providing generic drugs
- challenges food safety, chemical safety and labeling requirements
- threatens environmental policy
Expected Food Regulations
The TPP would:
- required the US to import meat and poultry that doesn’t meet US safety standards
- force the US to harmonize food safety standards meaning that all countries that sing on to the agreement would be required to abide by teh lowest common denominator standards of all participating governments.
- impose limits on labeling where food comes from, labeling GMO foods, labeling foods dolphin-safe, etc.
- can negate all the labeling laws now in place
- could negate all GMO bans
- through the TPP, most labeling laws that a country or state might want to pass would become illegal
- will harm dairy and small farmers and fishermen
TAKE ACTION NOW!
To stop TPP, we must get Congress to reject the Fast Track Option before TPP is finalized and presented for approval. We must act now! The White House is seeking Fast Track by September and plant so sig the TPP in October or November.
Learn more here: www.citizenstrade.org
Call your senator or representative at 202-224-3121 and leave this message:
“My name is __________ and I’m calling from __________ to urge my Representative to oppose Fast Track for the TPP.
Join the Call: For timely updates on the TPP, Fast Track and the latest organizing opportunities, sign up for monthly briefing calls at: tinyurl.com/tppcalls.