Hillcrest – OPEN
Leucadia, Mar Vista – CLOSED (deliveries resume on Dec 31st)
La Jolla, Solana Beach – CLOSED (deliveries resume on Jan 07)
Hillcrest, Leucadia, Mar Vista – OPEN
La Jolla, Solana Beach – CLOSED
Except for Mar Vista, you have the option of choosing a different pick-up site. Let us know by next week so we can confirm your choice.
CSA Pick-up Locations: http://www.jrorganicsfarm.com/csa-pick-up-locations/
Subscriber Renewal Bonus!
Anytime a renewal order of 12 boxes is placed, the subscriber gets an extra box FREE! That’s right, just renew with a 12 box subscription and an extra box will be added to your account (after order processes). What a great way to get even more fruit and veggies!
All About Kohlrabi
Kohlrabi is a member of the same family of plants as cabbage and kale; the Brassicae family.
- snip off the leaves close to the bulbous portion
- Store the leaves in a sealed plastic bag with a damp paper towel.
- Store the bulbous stem in separate bag without a paper towel.
- Rinse under cool running water.
- The leaves have a flavor similar to kale and can be prepared like any other green
- Kohlrabi can be eaten either raw or cooked. To eat raw, slice very thin and sprinkle with salt.
- Kohlrabi should be peeled, taking off a fair thickness in order to remove the fibrous layer just under the skin. It can also be peeled after cooking.
- Peel kohlrabi, cut it into 1/4” slices and sauté in butter or olive oil, or boil and mash like potatoes.
- Prepare as crudités for dipping.
- Grated and used in salads or gratins.
- Cube and add to soups or stews.
- It can be puréed, sautéed or steamed.
How to Boil Kohlrabi:
- Cook in boiling salted water for 30 minutes-1 hour, depending on size.
- Drain, and peel if cooked in the skin.
- Serve either seasoned with pepper, preferably freshly ground, and with melted butter, or with a cream or Hollandaise sauce.
How to Steam Kohlrabi:
- Season with salt and cook in the top of a steamer over a pan of boiling water for about 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours depending on size.
- Drain and serve as for boiled kohlrabi.
How to Braise Kohlrabi:
- Parboil the kohlrabi for 5 minutes.
- Drain, peel, and cut into quarters.
- Make a mirepoix (a combination of onions, carrots and celery) and add enough stock to half cover the vegetables.
- Bring to the boil and place the kohlrabi on top.
- Baste some of the stock over the kohlrabi.
- Cover the pan with a piece of greaseproof paper or foil and then with the lid.
- Cook over gentle heat for 1 1/2 hours or until the kohlrabi is very tender, basting with the stock from time to time.
- Remove the kohlrabi from the pan with a perforated spoon and place in a serving dish.
- Drain the cooking liquor into a small pan and boil the liquid rapidly until it is reduced to a thin glaze, and then pour it over the kohlrabi.
- The mirepoix can be served as a separate vegetable dish, sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Recent studies have shown the following possible health benefits.
- Optimize Your Cells’ Detoxification / Cleansing Ability
- Cancer Preventative
- Promote Gastrointestinal Health
- Promote Women’s Health
- Cardiovascular Benefits