- 1 1⁄2 cups white or whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup almond or other non-‐dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 rounded tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled, diced apples
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Warm the oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare a standard 12-‐cup muffin tray with paper liners or a light coating of oil.
- Mix together the milk and vinegar in a small glass and set it aside for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Combine the applesauce, milk mixture, oil, extract, and flax in a medium bowl and whisk well.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and stir until it is all just combined.
- Gently fold in the apples and nuts, making sure not to over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin cups; each muffin cup will be quite full.
- Bake for 18-‐22, or until the tops appear golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan and cool them on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 muffins